Support ASCC   Campus Directory   Campus Map   Employment Opportunities   Contact ASCC  
American Samoa Community College Logo        

Home | Student Services | Academics | Online Resources | Special Programs | About ASCC

Accessibility: Student Complaints and Grievances

The American Samoa Community College (ASCC) is committed to its Mission by ensuring accessibility services to the students and constituents it serves. As an open admissions College, each student is encouraged to pursue his/her academic studies without the hesitancy of unfair or improper treatment/action caused by any member of the ASCC community.

The American Samoa Community College Board of Higher Education emphasizes the importance that the community be made aware of the College's procedures regarding online information and accessibility through its policies and College Governance in pursuant to the requirements of the Office of Civil Rights as federally mandated.

Board Policies : (Please refer the ASCC Policy Governance Manual in the College Resources and Forms Section)

  • Policy 3005 People Treatment, p. 33
  • Policy 4209 American with Disabilities Act (ADA) Compliance, p. 57
  • Policy 4209.1 Reasonable Accommodation, p. 57
  • Policy 4210 Non-Discrimination, p. 57
  • Policy 4211 Harassment or Sexual Harassment, p. 58
  • Policy 4212 Appeal and Grievance, p. 58
  • Policy 5320 Academic Student Complaint/Grievance, p. 78
  • Policy 5321 Student Appeal, p. 78

The College's Student Grievance Procedure(s) is to be used when a student has been unfairly treated by a member of the College community that includes: student(s), instructor, administrator, or staff. The College identifies two separate procedures for grievances that may occur on Campus:

  1. General Student Grievances : General Student Grievances include complaints about non-academic matters that include discrimination based on sex, religion, disability, color, age, and other allegations or forms of harassment such as bullying, threats, and abuse as listed in the College Catalog, pp. 31-34. Student complaints about non-academic matters should be submitted in writing to the Dean of Student Services.
  2. Academic Student Grievances : Student complaints regarding academic matters should be submitted in writing to the Dean of Academic Affairs and the Dean of Student Services. (Referencing Student Handbook, p.16).

College Resources and Forms:

  1. ASCC Policy Governance Manual
  2. ASCC Student Handbook
  3. ASCC General and Academic Student Grievance Procedures
  4. ASCC General and Academic Student Grievance Flow-Charts
  5. ASCC Student Complaint Form
  6. ASCC Request for Accommodation Form

Title IX Coordinator

Title IX is a federal (national) law in existence for combating campus violence. This requires that colleges receiving federal funding to combat gendered-based violence and harassment to ensure that all students have equal access to education.

"No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance."

Contact Information:

ASCC Title IX Coordinator: Mr. Tauvela Fale
Phone: +1 (684) 699-7834 or +l (684) 782-3381
College Website:
College Accessibility Web Page:

College President

  1. The College President may request that the grievant, the respondent, the Compliance Coordinator present a written statement to him/her setting forth any information that such person has relative to the grievance and the facts surrounding it.
  2. The President of the College shall notify all parties concerned as to the time and location when an informal hearing will be held where such parties may appear and present oral and written statements supplementing their position in the case.
  3. With in fifteen (15) days of the hearing the President of the College shall render his/her determination in writing. Such determination shall include a finding that there has or has not been a violation of Compliance to the submitted law or regulation.
  4. If the grievant or the respondents are not satisfied with the determination of the College President, either may, within fifteen (15) days after its receipt, file with the Chairperson of the Board of Higher Education, a written request for review of the Board.

Board of Higher Education

  1. When a request for review by the Board has been made, the College President shall submit all written statements and other materials concerning the case to the Chairperson of the Board of Higher Education.
  2. The Board shall notify all parties concerned of the time and place when a hearing will be held. Such hearing will be held within fifteen (15) school days of the receipt of the request. All concerned parties shall have the right to present further arguments before the Board.
  3. The Board shall render a decision in writing within fifteen (15) days after the hearing has been concluded.

U.S. Department of Education

  1. Parties dissatisfied with the complaint resolution may file an appeal directly with the United States Department of Education.

U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights